Friday, March 19, 2021

What We Did This Week....

 Howdy Folks,

This is what we worked on this week....

Reader's Workshop



In the story front desk, Mia was like “mom why did you tell the principal that I came from china and her mom said that english could be easy for you because you are chineese and the other kids are american so they will be better than you.  And Mia was like not nessasarely mom but then Mia’s mom was like yes necessarily.

I think that Mia feels really sad because that is not fair to her because that is kind of rassist if you ask me.  To further explain I think Mia feels sad because she is asian and she feels that just because she is asian does not mean that I cant do english as well as the actuall american kids.  I think that Mia feels that her mom is doughting her that she cnt do english and I think parents are supposed to be the complete opisite of what Mia’s mom is saying.

 If I was in Mia’s shoes I would feel mad and sad at the same time.  To further explain I would be mad because if my mother did not have faith in me and did not even think that I could do english like all the other kids something would be wrong.  I would also be sad because that is kind of sad that your own mom does not think that you can do what all the other kids are doing and she has to cut me slack.  I would say mom if you do not have faith in me then I am going to do the work anyway not gonna be special.

-E-8 Student

_________________________________

In this story front desk, Mia feels offended because of how her mom had say their might be people who are better than Mia in English.

          Mia is like this because of how her mom told that their will be people better than her in English, which I think is not right. I think that that is not right because you can't boss someone like they are better than you when you don't even know who you are talking about, right? In the back story Mia was felling excited until the principal asked Mia "So, where are you from?" that's when Mia WAS going to answer and her mom answered for her that she is from China so Mia was going through her head thinking why did her mom do this and that's when Mia was asking questions.

          If I were to be in Mia's shoes and I was like why did mom just answer the wrong answer for me then I would be confused. I would be confused because I would be thinking Why did my mom answer this for me because like she knows that I can answer for myself, right? To further enumerate if I were to be Mia then I would ask myself well first I'm ten so my mom SHOULD know that I can do this by myself and answer the principal's question so, I would be confused. Last is that why did my parent lie about we were in China when we were somewhere else so based off of this ask your self why why why?  

-E-8 Student

_________________________________

 In the story, Land of Stories, Alex and Conner they spy on their mom and they find her crying on her bed saying “Oh John, what am I going to do, they are such good kids.” The kids come in and sit on the bed with their mom and they say something their dad used to say, “Its a bad chapter in life, but like books it will get better.

          I infer their mom is feeling sorry for what they are going through and that she wishes that she could give them better things and more attention. In the backstory it says that their mom is a nurse at a children's hospital and they are having trouble getting money, so she works extra shifts so she can afford to rent a house. That means that she can’t see her kids often.

          If I were Alex I would be upset that I can’t see my mom often, but happy that she is helping kids that need her help. To further explain, I would want to see her more often, but have her still help the kids that need it. In the backstory I read that their mom will have to work on their birthday so they won’t celebrate their birthday with her, although they weren’t expecting anything big for their birthday.

-E-8 Student

_________________________________


  In the story Charlotte's Web, Wilbur has taken Charlotte’s egg sack so he could take care of them because Charlotte was getting old, and starting to pass away. Day after day, finally the egg sack started moving and tiny little spiders hopped out one by one. The days passed and it was time for the baby spiders to float off with their web balloons. Wilbur was really emotional and didn’t know what was happening, when one spider explained to him that they have to drift off far far away and build their webs where the wind takes them. Wilbur still didn’t understand and was really sad. Wilbur found three spiders that stayed with him.

 

I feel like Wilbur was asking why, why, why in his head and not paying attention to what was going on on the outside of his brain. Since Wilbur doesn’t have any hands I bet he wanted to grab all of those floating spiders because he didn’t want them to leave. In the backstory, the pig was panicking and questioning Charlotte’s babies why they were leaving him. The picture of the spider babies making a balloon, I noticed Wilbur tearing up. Wilbur was feeling relieved that he got three spiders that would stay with him,  Joy, Aranea, and Nellie. Those were the names he picked out for the three spiders. The snout of the pig was looking up where the doorstep was and staring at the babies on the corner of the entrance while he was trembling with joy!

 

If I was in WIlbur’s shoes I would take a breath in and start sweating and crying that the tiny spider babies are growed up and leaving me behind in the barn cellar because these are Charlotte's babies and I would think that the only memory of Charlotte would be the children she gave birth to. And if I lost the babies I would feel empty and sad that I have lost something meaningful to me which are the spider babies. I would be wanting to spend my whole life with Charlotte’s babies and when they disappear I am heartbroken tears, tears, tears.

-E-8 Student

_________________________________


Math

  1. First I need to set up the equation in order to figure out what fraction of pokemon cards he gave away: 5/1 x 6/9, I added a denominator of 1 under the five so i will be multiply
  2. Now I need to multiply 5x6 for the numerators and 1x9 for the denominators.  30/9
  3. I need to simplify it because it is a improper fraction, I will be dividing 30/9: there are 3 9s in 30 so that will be my whole number, there is a remainder of 3 so that will be my whole number and last, my denominator will be 9
  4. I could still simplify because 9 could divide by 3 with no remainder, that will be 3 as the whole number, 1 as the numerator and 3 as the denominator,like this: 3 1/3 
  5. That is my final answer, Andy gave away 3 & ⅓ cards.

-E-8 Student

_________________________________

There are  4 sheets with 9 Pokemon cards in each sheet. There are 36 cards in all, I know this because 4x9=36. In the problem, it says that Andy gives away 6/9 cards in each sheet.so, if we multiply the 6 by 4, then we get 24. So, Andy gave away 24 pokemon cards out of 36.

-E-8

_________________________________


  1. First I need to multiply 5 boxes by ⅚.  My equation will be: 5/1 x ⅚=?
  2. Since this is multiplication, I must multiply the numerator and denominator: 5x5=25, 1x6=6
  3. ⚠️I got 25/6 which is a improper fraction so now I must simplify the fraction to get a proper fraction I will do that by dividing 25/6
  4. 25/6/6=4 ½ 
  5. I got 4 ½ which is my final answer
E-8 Student
_________________________________

First, you start out by drawing five boxes, then you put six circles inside of each box. In the problem it said that you consumed 5/6 of the donuts in each box. So, we would cross out five of the six donuts in each of the boxes. I counted how many donuts were consumed in each box, 5. If we multiply the 5 eaten donuts by all of the 5 donut boxes, we get 25. Originally, there were 30 donuts in all, so you ate 25/30 donuts. You're going to be in the bathroom for a while!

-E-8 Student
_________________________________

 1. This word problem is basically about donuts and barfing with a stomach ache but that's not we're looking for. That's a distraction to hide what the real problem is. "There are 5 boxes of donuts in room E-8...."  The number 5 was put into this sentence, which is our first number we found. To further explain, during a word problem you need to find key words, meaning words that help you find out what, equation sign you need to use, numbers that add, or multiply by. You need these because, what's a equation without the most important things, equal sign, numbers of course, and equation signs to make it complete. Since we have this number, 5, we now have to move on to our next sentence to search for key words. "Mr. Dinh eats 5/6 of the donuts in each box..." A interesting number lies in this sentence, 5/6. The number 5/6 isn't really a number, it's a fraction. You might think a fraction is a slanted line with two numbers on each side, but that's not what a fraction is. Fractions can also be a while number and a fraction like, 8  3/8. Anyways, a fraction is not a whole number. it's parts of a whole number. For example, a kid had a whole cake and ate 1/6 of it. It's like he ate only one part of that whole cake. Now where were we, oh... we can try to find more key words by looking and searching for words. Each could be one of the numbers. Let's double check, does this word tell us what equation sign we can use, yes, well does it tell us what number is in the equation, na, but it still tells us what equation sigh we need to use.  TO further explain, this word, or I mean key word, says that we have to use multiplication because when I am using multiplication you double numbers like 5x10=50 you are doubling 5 ten times.

           2. And yes, we found key words, did we set up an equation, no. Then our only two numbers are 5 and the fraction, 5/6 and our key word that was identified as multiplication. Well, there ya have it, the equation 5x 5/6. No, we aren't done because we haven't found out the sum which is also known as the answer. Usually when you multiply a fraction ya don't multiply or do anything with the denominator. A denominator is the bottom down number 5/6    <---- and the numerator is the one on the top so just remember this PHRASE," downtown denominator." ( I made this up, at least I think) So cover the denominator and multiply 5x5 will equal 25, because 5,10,15,20,25, doubling 5 by 5 equals 25. Put the denominator back and the sum is...25/6

           3. I see that the numerator is a bigger number than the denominator. It's 19 away so we have to make the numerator bellow .  And 6/6 another 6/6 which equals 2 wholes. TO further explain, if the numerator and the denominator are the same then it makes it a whole like 8/8=1 whole also the same as 6/6=1 and two 6/6 would equal 2 wholes. We have to find out the closest number to 25/6 in the 6's multiplication. Let's skip count, 6,12,18,24. Looks like the closest number to 25 is 24 because it's only one number away. Then we have 1/6 to add to 24/6 so it'll equal 25/6. Add up all the wholes we made, 1,2,3,4 and 1/6 left over. At last 4  and 1/6 is put all together and our equation is complete! 5x5/6= 25/6 and also 4 & 1/6

-E-8 Student

_________________________________


Writer's Workshop

Prompt: Should students have the right to wear what they want to at school?


Kids should be able to wear what they want to beside what does it matter it doesn’t because we go to school to learn school is not a place wear people judge your fashion I think kids should be able to wear what they want as longas it is not inappropriate.

One reason that kids should pick there clothes is because during recess what if you are uncomfortable in your jean shorts and your button up shirt.  To further explain when it is hot outside and your swetting you dont want to have to sit in your sweat you want to be comfortable but when you wear uniforms you do have to sit in your sweat and you do have to be uncomfortable.  I know from my own experience and even from the article that it is not comfortable.  To further explain in the article it said that kids would complain to there parents that they would  be uncomfortable at recess.

People should have there own style and there and schools should not judge what there feeling are going to be.  To further explain wearing a sertaint tee-shirt expresses yourself and it expresses your feeling and that is a very important part of your mental health and if you did wear your uniform you would be wearing the same colors and the same exact thing.  For example if you wanted to wear a jacket you would have to wear your school uniform jacket every day instead of wearing your own jacket.

One of the things that I spotted in the article was it said that kids might wear things with bad language and inappropriate stuff.  Why would a kid in elementary school even purchase any shirt or jacket that is inappropriate for school.  To further explain that is why there is something called a parent to supervise a kid and I know for a fact that there is no parent out there that lets there child wear something inappropriate to school weather it is something with bad language or something inappropiate.

I think that dress codes are crazy and all of these reasons prove that there really ireason for a dress code and it also proves that kids should be able to wear whatever there feelings are and whatever there style is.  I think that school that have dress codes and uniforms are wrong and I hope they change.

E-8 Student

_________________________________


Students should be able to wear whatever they want!

Do you ever get tired of wearing the same thing every single day? I do so we should be able to wear whatever we want. To further explain it gets annoying to have to wear the same thing every day.

Student rights

It’s not just that I want to wear whatever I want, it is also student rights because in the article, it says that, “In 1969, the U.S. The Supreme Court weighed in on the dress code debate. It ruled that students have the right to wear what they want—to a point.” so I feel like I need to have my student rights to wear whatever I want. And the dang supreme court wrote it so I definitely think I should and everybody else get to wear what they want. And the ridiculous dress code that they make is impossible to play sports in or just run in so how are you supposed to get exercise wearing these incredibly tight shorts and the annoying collared shirt.

Hair

You might ask “how more ridiculous can this get?” Well to answer that the answer is a ton. It’s not just student rights they also are specific about our hair I mean that’s just getting WAY to personal b/c how you do your hair is part of you so that rule is getting incredibly personal. In the article it says that, “Adrian, a seventh-grader at Durham middle school in Lewisville, Texas, had a faux (FOH) hawk. That means he combed his hair from the sides into the center and used gel to form it into a peak. But at Adrian’s school, faux hawks aren’t allowed Like many schools, Durham Middle School has a dress code. It bans hairstyles and clothing school officials considered too inappropriate or too distracting. Adrian was held out of class until he got a haircut.” this is absurd it’s not fair that you have to sit out of class just because your hair is the way you like it like I said earlier TOO PERSONAL!

learn

Can someone please answer this. What do you want to do when you go to school to learn right? Yeah so who cares if what your wearing isn’t the uniform as long as it doesn’t have any bad words right? Yeah so why are they so darn specific here’s how someone in the article put it. “I come to school to learn, it shouldn’t matter what I wear.” exactly it shouldn’t and yet principals are so very specific it’s like putting you in a jail cell and tying you to a wall so you can’t escape i mean it’s a jail cell how could they escape. So we come to school to learn not to be put in a jail cell.

Ending

As you can see this dress code is absurd and they need to fix it i mean what’s the point in learning if you try so hard to get comfortable like it should be for nothing we can’t have this anymore.

 -E-8 Student

_________________________________

I think that we should have free dress every day because uniforms are just... bla. Being able to wear what we want to school can be very fun.  Having free dress has many perks to it and you will find out, just keep reading.

Field trips

 On the ride there do you want to be moving every five seconds because your uniform can’t let you get into a comfy position?? Or you can’t go up the bus stairs because your pants or skirt won’t stretch?? Well that is probably from the haem or the way they are made. Our clothes have more comfort than uniforms and on  field trips if you lose a child you can easily spot them by their unique clothing and by their hairstyle.

 Expressing yourself

You can express yourself in so many ways but people most like to express themselves by...clothing. Clothing can really express yourself of what you like or what you want to do when you grow up. If you want you can wear stuff that express you like if you are a goth then you can wear black and if you aren't then you can wear yellow, pink or blue. You can wear things that express you but, you can’t distract the class. Also your rights are balanced with the school's needs.

Don’t be dummy

You can have fun dressing up but don’t wear something inappropriate like bad language.   You can insult or get into trouble if you wear something inappropriate.Also it might distract the class and now because of you the other kids don’t get to learn. I don’t think that you want your friends to get a bad education because of you and your clothes. 

I hope that you enjoyed reading this and if you already have free dress then don’t be a dummy and don’t wear bad stuff. Thank you for reading my opinion and I hope that you will be smart about what you wear to school. Bye!!!

-E-8 Student

_________________________________

Have an awesome weekend y'all!