Sunday, September 25, 2016

My Soapbox

Yesterday, I was asked why we needed to use common core to teach math. I told that particular person that teaching the "common core way," when it comes to teaching math, has students practicing their abilities to manipulate numbers and see multiple pathways to a solution. The "common core way" also help students be able to explain and jusitfy why they are doing what they are doing. She then proceeded to ask me how I would teach 16 X 24. I told her we don't teach multiplying two digit by two digit numbers in 3rd grade, as we want them to have a firm understanding and foundation of the basic math facts first, and she scoffed at me.

I asked her to show me how she was taught how to multiply two factors like 16 X 24 and she utilized the standard algorithm (which was how I was taught how to multiply as well, growing up):


You'll noticed that I circled the zero;  I asked her why she decided to put that zero there before she started to multiply with the 1 digit in the tens place. She couldn't give me reason for it other than, "I was told to do that growing up"

I showed her the "common core" way:


I explained to her that I was using an array model because it helps me visualize what it is I'm multiplying. I then told her that I was going to be using the decomposing strategy as a way to break down the factors into more efficient numbers to multiply with, so 16 is decomposed into 10 and 6, and 24 is decomposed into 20 and 4. Using the array, I multiplied each factor with all of the other factors, and then added all four products up (in an efficient manner) to get the product of 16 X 24.




I came back to her standard algorithm and explained to her that she placed the zero there because she's actually multiplying by 10 as the 1 digit is in the tens place (I linked zero explanation back to my array example), and the placing of the zero is acting sort of like a "place holder." I then said that I want all of my students to eventually use the standard algorithm to multiply, as it's the most efficient method, but with common core, they can learn the reasoning behind it, can justify/explain the steps/procedures that they are doing, and that we've putting the cart before the horse for way too long now, especially when it comes to math.

My friend, well...she kept quiet after that. No one ever complains about "common core reading" or "common core writing." We teach the students to explain, justify, and give detail to their inferences in reading, and the same goes for their stories and opinion pieces in writing; folks are usually okay about us educators teaching that sort of thing when it comes to those subjects. But when it comes to  teaching how to justify/explain procedures, steps, and solutions in math, folks get bent out of shape. Common core, especially when it comes to math? You might find it challenging, you might not understand the strategies, and you might even be frustrated with it. BUT you got to respect what it's trying to have our students (the future of this nation, btw) accomplish with themselves. We want the next generation to be experts in math, and this is the right step towards that direction. (mic drop)